Best Southern biscuits and gravy recipe, beloved Southern classics, have satisfied appetites and warmed hearts for generations. This meal embodies comfort cuisine, with a beautiful balance of sweet and savory tastes evoking memories of family reunions and lazy Sunday mornings. We’ll look at how to make the ultimate Southern biscuit and gravy dish in this complete guide. We’ll go over every part of this culinary marvel, from the simplest biscuits to the most decadent gravies. So, let’s roll up our sleeves, grab our hats, & head south.
best southern biscuits and gravy recipe Ingredients:
Before we get started, gather all of the ingredients for the greatest southern biscuit & gravy recipes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted (cold) butter .
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for gravy) .
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step by Step preparation:
1. Prepare the Biscuits
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) and line a parchment-lined baking sheet with baking paper.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, one teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl
- Add the cooled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, to the flour mixture. Add the butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles soft coconut.
- Stir in the butter until just incorporated. Be careful not to mix too much; A slightly rounded dough is ideal.
- Knead the dough lightly a few times with flour. Roll out to about 1 inch thickness.
- Use a round biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, so that the biscuits are golden brown and have risen.
2. Prepare the Gravy:
- Cook the pork sausage in a large skillet over a medium-low flame, breaking it up into bits with a spatula. Cook until your meat is no longer pink and brown.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour over the cooked sausage and cook the dough for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the whole milk gradually, stirring frequently, until the mixture is creamy and thick. This will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Season the gravy with pepper and salt to taste. Adjust ingredients as desired
sure! “Service” refers to food that is served and given to diners for their delight. When it comes to our greatest southern biscuit and gravy meals, the final step is to line up plates of biscuits in service & generously topped them with thick sausage gravy so that everybody can dig in and enjoy this lovely meal.
The best southern biscuits and gravy recipes take you on a gastronomic trip that mixes simplicity and enjoyment. This southern comfort food classic has the ability to whet the appetite while also creating lasting memories at the dinner table. You now have the expertise and know-how to master the ultimate southern biscuits and gravy thanks to this comprehensive tutorial. Your cooking talents will impress your family and friends whether you serve it for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. So embrace the tastes of the South and savor every bite of this Southern staple. Happy cooking!
best southern biscuits and gravy recipe FAQs:
Q. Can I use another sausage for the gravy?
A. exactly! While traditional pork sausage is the choice, you can try different sausages like turkey or vegan sausage depending on your taste.
Q. Can I make biscuits first?
A. Yes, you can make the biscuit dough ahead of time and chill it until baking. This is a great way to save time for a busy morning.
Q. Are there any healthier biscuits and gravy?
A. You can substitute some ingredients to make this recipe a little healthier, like using lean meat and low-fat dairy. However, the allure of Southern biscuit & gravy can still whet the stomach.
Q. What is the best way to reheat biscuits and gravy?
A. Place the biscuits and gravy in a preheated oven for about ten to fifteen minutes, or until warm. We can also use a microwave, however make sure to cover it to avoid splattering.
Q. Can I refrigerate biscuits and gravy?
A. Best to enjoy fresh, you can keep the biscuits and gravy in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw & reheat when prepared to serve.